[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor materials

In a message dated 12/30/98 11:30:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Original Poster: "Kevin Wahila" <knw2-at-lehigh.edu>

 when making plate caps, is it necessary to put paper in between layers?
 what kind of paper do you use?

 thanks
 kevin wahila >>

Kevin,

It is not necessary, if fact most of the home made caps that I am familiar
with (including mine) do not have paper in between the layers.  There has been
some discussion and speculation on this list about the benefits of using paper
to help wick the oil thoroughly in between all the plates.  To me, it makes
sense but I have not read any reports of any projects using this method.  It
will increase the spacing between plates and lower the capacitance accordingly
but may be a good trade-off.

Ed Sonderman