[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple question

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: LEST2001-at-aol-dot-com
>
> This is such a simple question I'm embarrassed to ask, but everyone has been
> so helpful. What is the difference between RF ground, and an electrical
> ground?
> Thank you,
> Leslie

hi Leslie..

a RF ground is the radio frequncy ground ..  it is normally a separate
ground rod not attached to the existing house system ( for med. and hi
power units) altho on low power units ( a single NST etc. ) the water
pipe can be used but not the best thing to do unless there is no other
recourse.

the electrical ground is the ground rod that is usually next to the
supply,
fuse/circuit breaker box, from the bottom of the box you will find a
bare copper wire leading to the ground rod ( sometimes a water pipe )
depending upon the local electrical building codes for the area.

the reason why we like to use a seperate ground for TC systems is that
when we do get a strike to ground, it doesnt run to the house system and
infiltrate the house wiring ground system  most of the newer homes have
ground system wall sockets ( the 3 hole type) if you had a setup where
the ground was directly attached to the house system .. a strong strike
to the ground could very well fry the TV Computer Stereo etc    a rather
expensive moment ;)

Scot D