[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer oil

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:04:20 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Roderick Maxwell" <tank-at-magnolia-dot-net>
>
>Hi Roderick

  From my experience with Mylar (polyethylene terephthalate), it holds up
well in petroleum based transformer oil.  I have several transformers
using Mylar insulation on the windings.  One such transformer, 13 kV -at- 10
kW, had a burnt turn in a winding a year ago.  Upon repair, I found no
deterioration of the 0.007" Mylar or 0.060" polyethylene used extensively
in all the windings.  This was after 3 years of operation.  Chemical
resistance to hydrocarbons is good per all the performance charts I have
seen.
 I would stick with Mylar for your application.

  A tip on winding enamel wire directly on Mylar, or any other slippery
material.  Spray a fine layer of contact adhesive spray on the Mylar
before winding on the wire.  3M makes some as well as other manufactures.
 When you wind the wire on the dried adhesive, it will stay in position
quite well.   Of coarse the mineral oil will attack the adhesive after it
is completed and immersed in oil, but  the wire will be in proper
position and tension to stay in place at that time.

Hope this helps

Kevin E.

Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.