[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LOW VOLUME

In a message dated 12/6/99 11:48:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi Coilers:
>
>  Is it just me, or has there been a marked decline in the volume of
>  messages here on the SIG lately?  Maybe everyone's too busy with
>  Christmas shopping!
>
>  I'm well along with my second coil.  Four by sixteen secondary with
>  an 11" x 4" toroid top load, 15 degree 1/4" tube saucer primary,
>  RQ multi-gap, mica cap, and two OBIT's for power.
>
>  I managed to fry one of the OBIT's setting the safety gaps, but I've
>  got access to lots more.  Is 100 pF. across the safety gaps OK when
>  using a pair of pancake chokes wound of # 22 on a 2" OD teflon form?

J.B.

There are may opinions regarding filter systems.  I would suggest to use no
capacitors at all.  I use series inductors made with about 20 turns of #16
wire on a ferrite (donut) core in series with the H.V. feeds and then
directly to the main spark gap.  I also use some series resistance on the
smaller coil powered by neon sign transformers and none on the pig powered
coil.  I believe it is Malcolm that suggests locating the transformer
physically close to the spark gap and I agree this is the best design.  After
blowing a few caps I also use safety gaps across my caps, although after
fixing my 60 hz resonant problem I have not had a problem in that area.

Ed Sonderman