[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Litz

    Now, I made a transformer that used a foil primary winding, and inplace
of true windings, I made a bipolar capacitor as a primary.  So, what I did
was layer paper, foil, paper, foil, and placed a wire one end to get power
to next to the core.  Then I wound up the layers, and go the outside, and
final layer measured the resistance, found the open side of the foil, and
made a capacitor that was inductive.

    If you ever played with jump rope what would happen inside the core was
quite interesting once powered.  It was like I would have 1/3 extra power at
resonance but, that was at 1.5 times the resonant frequency, or at the first
higher odd harmonic.  It was a complete half wave event and so, there was
equal the input on one half cycle, and double the next, and it went on
indefinately.  There was talk about standing waves, and as I see it, there
was a place inside were the electrons never left, and unless you were near
resonance there was no output at  a lower frequency because, the primary was
an open circuit compared to that.  On the other hand it acts like filter to
other frequencies except odd harmonics.  On the next odd harmonic, it showed
another loss.  So, if you were watching a jump rope, and you had two parts
of the rope up, and one part down while twirling it, that was what was going
on inside.  So, the first odd harmonic was showed the highest
current/voltage fluxuation.  The second divides the rope five times.  So,
the extra was only 1/5th at the second odd harmonic.  I could tell by the
output how many half sines were inside and how much current was never
leaving the primary, and contributing to the magnetizing current.  I would
love to try that on a air core with a wider, and longer core, or just a much
higher value of capacitance.  I would like to hit a value of 1uf, and 1mH
for a primary, or just real close.  If it were footlong it would be amazing.
I could see by my power output levels that AC was simply all right there in
the core, and the same electrons were doing all of the work in the core.  I
know by the way the resonant state of the odd harmonic held that at that
point it was true.  Capacitor coupling really shows that to be case in alot
of amplifiers but, when you know it's not making out of the case and
magnetizing, it's even more odd.  It reminded me of sloshing around my
coffee in the cup but, and odd harmonic is generated by dropping it flat on
it's bottom.  The core has more than one natural state that goes over unity
unloaded, or resistively loaded.  A resistance on the secondary only changes
the inductance of the primary, so it just changes the resonant frequency of
the core.  The lower the load resistance, the higher the frequency of
resonance..  I do wonder what would happen if you used that with a solid
state tesla coil.  As I see it resonance has more to do with the choice of
capacitor than stray capacitance, and winding resistance is a wire thickness
issue over a primary capacitance as a whole.  If some-one changed out their
primary with the same dimensions of a spiral winding using a four inch wide
copper strip that was between 1/32, and 1/16th of an inch thick they would
really have something.  At that point most of these would need to use a
higher resonant frequency to keep the secondary from overheating.  The main
reason I say this is because wire resistance verses inductance depicts a Q
factor, and that would beat nine out ten different primaries I've seen.  The
formula for Q is I in Henrys divided by R in ohms of winding resistance, and
the copper strip has a lower resistance, and larger surface area than round
wire.  So, a skin voltage can do alot more.

+AD4-Original Poster: +ACI-Jim Lux+ACI- +ADw-jimlux+AEA-jpl.nasa.gov+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-I've always heard litzendraht, shortened to litz wire. Of course
+AD4-litzendraht wire might be redundant (wire, wire)....
+AD4-
+AD4-The origin sounds like it is just a descriptive term, because true litz
+AD4-wire is braided or woven.
+AD4-