[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: drying coil forms

Hi Ted,

> Original Poster: Ted Rosenberg <TRosen1-at-Tandy-dot-com>
>
> Ed: I essentially said the same to Justin. BUT, this is the first time
> I've heard that certain sealing agents can crack acrylic. Anything in
> particular I should stay away from? I had planned to use a good
> quality polyurethane varnish...glossy for 'show'. And it's a 6" so it
> will be motor driven while applying and drying. As for expensive..yep.
> Between the 36" I had to buy (sold by the foot) and the two 6" end
> disks, I dropped $100 yesterday. Aspirin today. Ted
> ============================== Subject: Re: drying coil forms
<snip>

Solvents such as chloroform and methylene chloride will craze an
acrylic tube in an instant. Tubing seems to be particularly
susceptible to this. I've often welded sheet acrylic like this with no
problems. Perhaps tubing is stressed for some reason associated
with its manufacture or perhaps it has something to do with the
different ROCs inside and out. Anyone know?

Regards,
Malcolm