[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tiny tesla...

I built something like that when I was about 13 years old.  I used an
automobile ignition coil pulsed by a 115v dimmer switch for the power
supply.  The capacitor was glass plates and foil.  The primary was 12 ga.
bare aluminum wire wound on a glass cylinder (Coleman lamp globe).  The
secondary was about a foot long and wound on 2" pvc pipe with thin magnet
wire (32, 34 ga?  Can't remember).  I used two machine screws on "L"
brackets for the spark gap.  No top terminal--just a skinny bolt sticking
up.  The coil produced a bright blue/purple brush discharge and harmless 3"
sparks to hand held metal objects.  It looked great in a darkened room and
sounded really cool--lots of loud crackling noise.  I did a lousy job on it
but it still worked.  It was cheaper than dirt.

Best Regards,

Greg