[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

coil questions

<<< Since Marty questions are the same the many coiler's may have, I let this
post through.  If the replies are not Tesla coil related, please write back
directly to Marty - Terry >>>

Semi-related to a tesla coil, I have many questions about coil winding.

I am planning a Bedini/Newman type motor/generator with a 30-80 lb coil and
permanent magnets. I came across a letter that warned me to insulate my coil
wire.

qoute- "Beware of winding a coil which will operate on high voltage without
using insulation between the wires on the coil. It is entirely possible to have
'flashover' between windings during operation."

I am not an EE and I have no experience building coils--you guys have.

1. Is there such a problem called "flashover" in coils?
2. Coils are never insulated are they? Between turns, I mean.
3. This brings another question to mind. Why don't the electrons flashover? Two
conductors that are touching each other should represent a short. ???????

These might sound like silly questions but to an unschooled mind they are
valid.

I am also looking for links/tutorials that will help one plan, design, and
build all types of coils. What proportions of wiresize/turns and what are the
effects of using different proportions, etc...

Thanks for any help or clarification.

Marty