[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

this cap made for trouble?

Hi,

about to turn from a TV flyback powered TC to something bigger during the
holidays... The problem is now the tank capacitor, and I'd be very happy
if someone could tell if I'm heading into trouble / a bad cap with the
following ideas.

I've made some tests with plastic bags (PE), and ordinary transparency
sheets (like those you write on, not those for printer/copier), and both
seem to stand 3kVAC very well. No clue about RF properties though. :o)

So, this is what I had in mind:
 - a couple of transparency sheets stacked up, with
   household aluminium foil in between. goal is 10nF for 8kVAC
 - aluminium foil folded twice or more often
 - using the 10nF caps, a 4x4 cap array to be powered
   by a 8kV 50mA NST (200W/400VA, cos(phi)=0.5)
 - thin layer of liquid paraffine oil between alu & transp. sheet
   during assembly, later whole thing immerged in paraffine oil

Does this sound ok?

I think that the transparency sheet will stand the strain, but not so sure
about the aluminium foil... What type of foil is used in commercial HV
pulse caps? Any thicker than household alu foil?

Many thanks in advance

 - Jan

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi, petwag-at-kolumbus.fi