[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Low Voltage Primary

Hi Ross,

	I think it will work fine theoretically.  I have taken GM ignition coils
and removed the iron cores so that I can run them as true Tesla coils
(single shot) and have obtained 13.25 inch sparks from them.  These have a
few hundred primary turns and "a lot" of secondary turns.

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1998/November/msg00694.html

You may want to search the archives at www.pupman-dot-com for "GMHEICSLR"

These are very similar to what you propose for low frequency (10kHz), low
voltage (1500 V) coils.  However, be very cautious!!  I originally started
the GM coil project to make a simple "beginner's coil".  However, the low
frequency makes these ignition-coil Tesla coils pack a vicious shock if you
touch them!!  It became obvious that the shock was far too much for a
beginner to play with and it may be in the lethal range.  Low frequency
coils are really nasty shock wise and do not have that "you won't feel it"
advantage.  I "tested" it at 2 inch arcs and it really hit me!!  A 13 inch
arc would probably send me through the wall if it didn't kill me first (2.5
joules).

So there is nothing wrong with low frequency, low voltage Tesla coils
theoretically and they have been demonstrated.  However, don't touch them!!

Cheers,

	Terry
	Still holding the GMHEICSLR at 13.25 inches. :-))