[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Winding primaries

>From Ken Herrick:

You might try a simple type of test that I recently did:  Requires a
2-channel oscilloscope and a signal generator.  Connect one scope probe
to your secondary and connect the generator to an appropriately-shaped
loop of wire simulating your primary.  Use several loops if you have
several primary configurations in mind, all having the same quantity of
turns.  You may need a series resistance of a few hundred ohms at the
output of the generator to avoid loading it down unduly with just the few
turns of wire.  Connect the other probe across the wire loop (at the
loop-end of the resistor, if any).

Next, position the loop at the appropriate place with respect to the
secondary & tune the generator to the secondary's resonant frequency.
Record the amplitudes of the loop's voltage and the secondary's voltage.
Then connect the next loop and do the same thing, adjusting the
generator's output voltage as required to keep the loop voltage the same
as before.

That way, you can see the relative efficiencies of the various modes of
coupling a primary to the secondary.  Although I employ an essentially
flat primary (of 1 equivalent turn, as it happens) in my t.c., directly
under the secondary, I've found that significantly better coupling ensues
with a primary positioned about 6" up (out of 35" or so).  I don't use
that better positioning, though, in order to keep the primary away from
the strong electric field, so as to protect my MOSFETs (but I'm working
on how to ameliorate that electric-field problem).

Regards-  KCH