[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Induction heating in torroid / short circuit of secondary

Hi Dale,

At 12:09 AM 12/20/1999 -0800, you wrote:

>*** Terry, have you ever modeled these two conditions ?
>           Do the Field plots differ ?
>           This may be a case where you create the program,
>           so the results are pre-destined to agree with
>           that codes assumptions ?

None of my programs will simulate what you are asking.  I think the fact
that the top terminal is a single turn that is far away (compared to the
many windings of the primary) makes the energy lost rather small (low
mutual inductance).  The corrugated top terminals also probably have a
fairly high RF resistance especially if they are made from easily oxidized
aluminum.  However, this probably does need more study in light of the
arcing your are seeing in your split toroids.

If you can measure your coil's Q, with and without the split section
shorted,  that may give an indication of the energy lost.  We know that
placing a shorted loop grounded arc ring above the primary can reduce power
(and heat the ring).  I can measure Q easily and accurately but I don't
have the proper torroid at the moment with a split in it...

Cheers,

	Terry