[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring static gap BPS

<< Original Poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> Has anyone found an easy way to measure the firing rate of a static gap?
> I'm sure there's a way to devise some sort of optical or inductive pickup
> with a low-pass filter and limiter, and feed this into a frequency counter.
> But rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask if someone else has
> done this.

> Regards, Gary Lau >>

Hi Gary,

Richard Hull showed an optical method on his tape in which
he waved a fluorescent tube or neon bulb quickly back and forth.
The firings would show as bands with a wider space at the zero
crossing area.  Another method he showed had the neon bulbs
attached to a spinning piece of cardboard attached to a motor,
which showed similar banding effects.  I supposed this energy
could be supplied to a low pass filter, etc as you said.

Then there's a method that Richie Burnett uses, that gives the
firing rate using an audio tape recorder to tape the
actual gap firing (not the sound), he then feeds the info to a computer
to find the average firing rate.

Holiday Cheers,
John Freau