[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A little coil

There are problems when the primary inductance becomes too small.  The
impedance that the cap discharges into (surge impedance) becomes very low.
This causes the current through the cap to be very high (rough on the cap)
and makes gap quenching more difficult.  Resistive losses in the tank
circuit are also higher, as these are proportional to the square of the
current(I**2 R).  But I'm afraid that I don't know what to tell you as far
as just how much constitutes "too small".

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA