[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: STOCK UP ON NSTs FOR Y2K!!!!

Hi Nathan,

Yep!  We know about it.  Check the archives for the thread "Defeat the SGFP
Transformers!".

We are hoping they will be really screwed up and "fail" all the time.
Instead of using a fuse or something simple, they will probably have all
kinds of electronics that will fail under hot, cold, temp cycling, high
voltage, transients, dissolve in tar ;-))...  Thus, we will see many
perfectly good transformers that just need the stupid relay or, whatever,
bypassed.

Like Y2K, we will have to wait to see how much of a problem it is.  Right
now, it looks like it may help us more than hurt.  It just adds another
reason for the sign guys to give us a "bad" neon that is easy to fix.  The
basic neon transformer can't change much, so this goofy safety thing will
probably be an added PC board somewhere that we will have to dig into and
"fix".  We have x-ray, surgical equipment, hammers, etc. at the ready.  If
anybody runs across one of these, let us know and we'll get to finding the
fix.

It sounds like this regulation may possibly supply us with an endless
supply of almost new transformers.  I wonder if any of the neon pros out
there have seen these yet??

Some links:
www.transco-neon-dot-com
http://www.neonshop-dot-com/neonweb/