[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coiling again

Steve Young wrote:

> Just wondering if you have ever tried the simpler variation of your
> interesting Marx gap idea.  That is, simply charge your 0.05 uF tank cap on
> one RSG presentation, and discharge it into the primary on the next separate
> presentation.  Charge and discharge are isolated, as you described for your
> Marx gap.  This would be one bang.  Repeat the above over and over with the
> same polarity of charge (not switching polarity every other bang as in your
> H-bridge RSG).

These ideas look interesting, but I would like to see an schematic of
exactly how they would be implemented. I see a very serious problem:
Using a NST or similar to charge the capacitors will require the
periodical disconnection of the transformer from the capacitors.
A transformer with large series inductance will not like this treatment.
At each interruption a large output voltage will appear. A safety gap
may provide some protection against internal breakdown, but I wonder
how long the transformer will survive.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz