[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bipolar Coil (was: Coiling Goals)

Hi Brian, Terry
Sorry to be so far behind the curve on this. Holiday activities have kept me
away from my toybox until now. I apologize if much of this posting is ancient
history.

Brian, your schematic diagram and the discussion of your bipolar coil is
excellent. I have not previously seen a coil in that configuration. The
bipolar I am working on is a horizontal
center-fed coil. I am working on two configurations: One has approx ten-turns
of 1/4-inch
copper tubing for an eight-inch diam primary. The other is a split primary
based on info
that Fr. McGhee supplied some time ago. I'll post on my coil when I get some
sparks
or blown fuses ;o)

I put together two Vector boards each containing 15 of the 0.33 uF, 630 VRMS
/ 2kV GE
snubbers from Hosfelt. Each board is individually terminated so I can use
them individually
or make a series / parallel combo. Each cap has a 10 meg / 1/2 W resistor
across it. So Terry, you gave me the idea to test the RC constant of my MMC.
With a 15 / 60 NST, the
15 kV decays to zero in a little over two seconds. Brian, if I am doing this
right the
decay constant of your 0.056 uF and 10 meg resistor is 0.56 sec and oughta
get the 20 kV down to zero in less than 3 seconds.

Then finally, have you given any thought to submitting your bipolar design to
ARPA or
Sandia Labs? I refer to the configuration of your coil with the twin columns.
I'm thinking
what might happen with one coil placed end-on-end and perpendicular to the
other
coil. With a few megawatts poured into them, wouldn't interesting things
happen downstream along the Z-axis?

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman