[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Edmund Scientific Tesla Coil

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Edmund Scientific Tesla Coil

> Original Poster: "Steve Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
>
> Hi list,
>
> For those wondering what on earth a "kicking coil" is, basically it is an
> iron core coil, such as an ordinary relay coil, and a vibrating set of
> contact points (such as normally closed contacts on a relay).  It works
> just like an old style electromechanical buzzer or doorbell.  Basically,
it
> is an induction coil without a secondary.  The voltage step-up is the
> result of the inductive "kick" as the magnetic field collapses when the
> points open.
>
> The circuit is as follows:  AC input goes to series connected iron core
> coil, vibrating points, TC primary, then to other AC input.  Capacitor is
> across bottom of primary and junction of iron core coil and points.  With
> points open, the iron core coil "kick" charges the cap.  With points
> closed, the cap discharges into TC primary and the iron core coil is
> energized from the AC input, which opens the points again.
>
> Smoother operation would result from running the kicking coil from DC as
> there would be no "beating" effects between the AC line frequency and the
> frequency of the vibrating contacts.
>
> Anyway, I believe some list members would be interested in the experience
> of others with this little coil, or with any others powered by a "kicking
> coil", especially a larger setup.
>
> --Steve Young

This is how the old "Violet Ray" quack handheld Tesla coils were done. They
came with argon-gas-filled fittings (rake-shaped, doorknob-shaped, etc.) and
supposedly cured baldness and other conditions. I have one that, in addition
to demonstrating the above, I use for finding leaks in vacuum equipment.

Ken Donnell
Eyesis
kdonnell1-at-earthlink-dot-net