[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20KV 1 Amp connectors

Tesla List wrote:
> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi> wrote:
> >I am desperately seeking for HV connectors (cable plug + panel socket, 1
> >pole) capable to carry 20 kV 1A.
> The best I can come up with would be to use x-ray tube plugs and sockets.
> These cables are rated at 100KV and carry 10-15 amps of filament current for
> the tube.  Connections are via a "Federal Standard" 1.5625 inch diam plug
> with contact points at the end, about 4-5 inches long, with a screwdown ring
> on the back (like an amp military connector sort of).  Connections are
> performed under oil or dielectric grease.  Grounded shield.

The problem is that the mating connectors (female) usually have
the end with pins immersed in oil. Inside x-ray powersupply-tanks
the connections from those pins are made using un-insulated wire
(usually brass "spring"like wire to make surface radius larger
but still have flexible wire) under oil.

I'm not at all certain they are meant to be used completely out
of oil (surface sparks etc.). Definitely not at 100+ kV, but
perhaps at de-rated voltage specified by manufacturer. The connection
between taper (male) and connector (female) can be made using suitable
grease, so that is not a problem.. The ends of x-ray tube-units either
have again oil at the connector, or the connector is cast inside epoxy.

btw: there are different taper connectors, not just single standard..

> They won't be cheap but these cables are available off the shelf in lengths
> up to 75 ft.  Used to route power (150kv 400 ma typ) from the HV generation

These cables and female connectors are available cheaply from used
x-ray systems.. Just contact the local companies that overhaul such
equipment - they have piles of old cables (I've seen the piles:).
New cables are VERY expensive - hundreds/thousands of USD for a
few meter cable.

I have such cables and connectors from old pieces of equipment..
My new Tesla-coil powersupply has such connectors and x-ray cables
are used between powersupply and 'coil.

  Kristian Ukkonen.