[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poly-Lok polyester resin transformer...

Hi Apollo, all,

> Original Poster: Apollo <ollopa-at-jps-dot-net>
> Does anyone know how to remove the polyester resin potting in
> a transco poly-lok transformer?
> Heating doesn't seem to work, I heard the typical chemicals
> don't work...  ??

Well, there IS a way, BUT:

1.) It is expensive.
2.) It envolves some dangers.
3.) It *might* give the guts (the NST inside) the rest,

so I would NOT recommend it, but here it is:

First, you will need to mechanically remove as much of
the resin as you dare without damaging the actual NST.

Next, you need to find some way of heating the NST and
the resin remains in a bath of "etching acid". I will NOT
comment further on this, because this mix is probably
one of the most dangerous chemical mixes around. Not
only will it soften the resin, but it WILL take off your
skin (all the way to the bones) if you are not careful.
You will need to keep this mix and the NST at 60-70°C
for a while, until it softens the resin. After the resin has
softend up, you will need to neutralize the acid remains
with water. Of course, IF any of this etching bath gets
inside the NST (windings, etc), you will probably have
already lost the battle at this point.

The last step is to put the NST and what is left of the
resin in a bath containing dimethylformamid. Preferably,
using an ultrasonic cleaner to shake out all the remains.

The (now clean) NST can be rinsed with isopropyl alcohol
followed by a long bath in water. After force drying the
*wet poodle* you now have a spotlessly clean NST, which
CAN be repaired, modified, etc.

This method is used by hackers to get inside of chips (like
resetting fuses inside of PICS) or other kinds of black
boxes. Yes, It DOES work and yes, it IS expensive and
finally, yes, I WOULD NOT recommend this method AT
ALL to anyone who doesn´t have a firm chemical
background. Most likely, they won´t even sell you the
epoxy solvent (dimethylformamid) across the counter.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard

P.S: We (all on the Pupman List) like to know who
we are talking to and prefer using real names ;o)

<<< I de-capsulate components in epoxy and such all the time for failure
analysis at work.  An NST is so large the quantity of chemicals needed
would be too expensive to buy and ship (hazardous chem shipping = $$$).
The chemicals need a real chem lab to handle and then you have to safely
dispose of the used mess.  - Unless you can see and saw into the defect,
the neon is junk.  I fully agree with Reinhard and thank him for letting me
piggy back onto his post on a subject I know all too well ;-) - Terry >>>