[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Gap Question

Very interesting, it seems that lots of motors are syncronous, even
though it would not immediately seem so. I have a washing machine motor,
strangely enough it is an induction motor (no carbon brushes in sight)
and appears to have salient rotor (there are silver lines running down
it). It has wiring for 1400rpm and 2800rpm operation (there's also a
very sluggish speed of something like 150rpm for normal washing, the
1400 and 2800 being slow and fast spins), all of which are divisible by
50 (I have a 50hz mains supply). Can I assume it is a syncronous motor ?

My problem would then be fixing electrodes to the spindle, it has a
smooth aluminium flywheel, normally of course a belt would go round
this. I assume that using a belt drive would screw up all the
syncronicity.