[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Straight from th pole

Sure it's possible... however not probable

1) You'll need to convince the power company that it is worth their while
to run the special line, in terms of electricity usage, or, you'd have to
pay the actual cost.. Figure $100/foot as a starting number and go from
there.

2) You'll need to convince the power company that a) you have the proper
termination equipment (i.e. what they are going to connect their feeder to,
b) you're going to put some sort of reasonable load on it (i.e. power
factor, etc.... A TC running a spark gap isn't likely to encourage them)
and most important c) that you are qualified to do it.

3) You'll need to convince the local regulatory authorities (city, county,
state, etc.) that you are building to code, that you are safe, etc.etc.etc.

That said, many large consumers (MWh/month) of electricy get their power
fed at MV levels (e.g. 10-14 kV), particularly if they have HV loads (like
arc furnaces, ovens, etc.)