[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

pole pig ideas

Hello Tesla Listers,

In the past month or two I have asked some questions about my design for
my first pole-pig powered coil. I thank everyone who sent me comments.
One of the re-occuring comments was that a 40kV cap was insufficient for
a 19,920V pole pig. If I wanted to use this 40kV cap without a major
change, would it be possible to apply 120VAC to the LV windings of the
pig instead of 240VAC? If this works it should reduce the output to
10kV. But assuming the 10kVA rating is because of the wire size(?) it
should still only be able to pass 42A, so the max power would be cut in
half to 5kVA??? If this is the case, does anyone now if a pole pig can
be overpower (I assume it can), and if so how much and for how long? I
would think it could be run at 200% for runs of <1min, with cool down
time inbetween. Is this correct?

Tristan Stewart, KC2EBM