[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig ideas

Tristan wrote:

>One of the re-occuring comments was that a 40kV cap was insufficient
for
>a 19,920V pole pig. If I wanted to use this 40kV cap without a major

It all depends on how you set your gaps.  If you set them narrow - then
the voltage will be less...

>change, would it be possible to apply 120VAC to the LV windings of the
>pig instead of 240VAC? If this works it should reduce the output to
>10kV.

Yep.  This is correct.  You'd apply the 120 across the pig's 240 lugs to
produce about 10kv of output.

> But assuming the 10kVA rating is because of the wire size(?) it
>should still only be able to pass 42A, so the max power would be cut in
>half to 5kVA???

I think what really matters is not saturating the core.  This is a
function of amp*turns on the primary.  In this case since you have not
changed the number of turns - then I agree- you'd want to limit the
input current to 42 amps to operate it in the linear region.

But you can run a substantial overload w/o hurting anything! :)

You will probably have to operate this off of a separate circuit since
you'll be pulling 42 amps from one hot to neutral...

> If this is the case, does anyone now if a pole pig can
>be overpower (I assume it can), and if so how much and for how long? I
>would think it could be run at 200% for runs of <1min, with cool down
>time inbetween. Is this correct?

I'd bet it'd take a 200% overload for an hour! :)  These things are
really overbuilt!

My opinion is that the pig will not be the first thing to fail during an
overload.  Example - I'd say your gaps will be fried long before that!
:)

-Bill