[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

  Bob -

 My concept of space? A very busy place! For starters every charge in the
universe has an electric field that extends to infinity in space. All
electromagnetic radiation in space extends to infinity and there are
billions of different frequencies. Why don't these frequencies interfere
with each other? And then there are gravitational fields, and maybe other
fields we haven't detected as yet.

  As for particles, there are many in the local space surrounding stars. But
the vacuum is still better than any obtainable on earth. In outer space (the
space between the stars) astronomers say there is only one hydrogen atom per
10 cubic meters. Because of the vastness of space this invisible matter
accounts for over 98% of the matter in the universe. A Tesla coil would work
differently in this part of the universe. There would be no random extra
long sparks.

  When he was 21 Hertz did study under both Helmholtz and Kirchoff at the
University of Berlin in 1878. You are correct in that Hertz studied
resonance and Maxwell's electromagnetic waves at this time. In 1888 Hertz
published his paper "On Electric Radiation" describing his famous discovery
of radio waves.

  What mechnical model would I use to explain the Tesla coil operation? I
think there are several mechnical models to explain some of the TC
operation. These have already been mentioned by coilers in past posts.
However, there are no mechanical models to describe the operation of certain
parts of the TC like the transfer of energy from primary to secondary coil
by induction with no losses. Any mechanical model would include friction and
losses. Another TC operation that may be impossible to model is the
operating spark gap. This involves thermodynamics and entropy. Magnetic
circuits do not involve temperature or entropy.

  John Couture