[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

> b.) You are using 24 mil TOTAL dielectric thickness. This means you only
have
> 12 mils (I am sure THIS IS your problem: measured vs. calculated) EFFECTIVE
> dielectric between the two plates. Mike´s caps (as far as I remember)
have 24
> mils BETWEEN the plates and 48 mils of total dielectric thickness. So, if
you
> add 4 sheets (2 per side) you will get 24 mils per side (48 total) and your
> capacitance will be reduced to 30.5nF per cap. As you are running three in
> series, this will give you a total capacitance of ~10nF. The total EFFECTIVE
> dielectric thickness across all caps will be 72 mils (24mils * 3 caps). This
> should be bulletproof up to 16kVac. If you are running a 12 or 15kV NST, you
> might want to think about leaving out one or two sheets per cap (one per
side
> for each cap).
>
> Hope this helped clear up the clouds.
>
> Coiler greets from germany,
> Reinhard

Hi Reinhard,
Thanks for the info. I did re-build my caps using 4 layers of 6 mil in
between foil for a total of 48 mils. This gave me the .03 uF I was
after. I'm running a 15K/60ma NST. According to Mike, three of these
wired in series should be bullet proof. Why do you recommend removing a
layer or so from the cap?

Bob V