[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

The resonance of the two channels of water, which by design have the same
frequency ,
are coupled via mechanically linked impellers. This is exactly the
condition of a

primary/secondary. The tank system feeding the primary should have a reservoir
elevated above the rest of the system which is periodically dumped into the
primary circuit.

The analogy can be mad as perfect as one desires. It is easier to model a
CW in
this fashion.
As for the spark gap, the analogy becomes strained because of the plasma
physics
involved.
Plasma conductivity, plasma concentration, applied voltages, varying
distances in
an RSG,
dielectric of air, movement of air, frequency effects . . .

. . . is it any wonder that the rsg is difficult to model?

It's not that it can't be done, but rather that anyone who does it ; probably
does it for a living ,
and isn't going to give it away for free.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
>   Bryan -
>
>   Doesn't your mechnical analogy represent just the single RCL circuit of
> the TC primary or secondary circuit but not both coils coupled? Your
> mechnical analogy appears to be similar to Maxwell's differential machine
> which represents a 2nd order differential equation.
>
>   A mechanical analogy of a Tesla coil would have to represent a 4th order
> differential equation as shown by the Corum's in their TCTUTOR book. This
> means there would be 7 variables including the mutual inductance. Also, the
> operating spark gap would have to be included. To my knowledge no one has
> ever devised such a mechanical model.
>
>   I admit, however, that the spring/damper/mass model and the pendulum
> systems make excellent mechanical models for demostrations of certain Tesla
> coil operations.
>
>   John Couture

> At 12:26 PM 2/1/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Original Poster: Bryan Work <bryan-at-apexrad-dot-com>
> >
> > The best mechanical analogy of magnetic induction is a turbocharger or a
> >turbine.
> >Flow (current) -at- pressure (voltage) feeds the input tubine (primary)
which is