[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation

  Ed -

  I should have left out the reference to the Corum's equations. All coupled
dual RCL circuits are represented by 4th order differential equations. The
Corum's equations are just a sample. However, I haven't seen this type of
equation used for the solution of a particular Tesla coil. I got around this
difficulty with my JHCTES computer program by using an empirical approach.

  I agree that there are direct analogies between capacitors, inductors,
masses , and springs. I have been able to set up the 2nd order differential
equations for these parameters on a spreadsheet and print out the graphs for
the single RCL circuit representing the TC primary or secondary circuits. I
overlooked the operating spark gap. However, I have never seen a solution
for the actual coupled TC primary and secondary circuits using the 4th order
differential equations. I doubt that anyone has ever done this. I hope that
coilers will not refer me to books that are hard to find and do not show the
proper information.

  The Corum's only showed the equations but not a solution for a real world
TC. They also have a TC empirical type program but it is not complete. It
asks for the mutual inductance instead of calculating this parameter and has
other limitations. The JHCTES empirical approach is a novel computer program
solution of real world coils starting with the TC input watts and ending
with the output spark. This is a complete engineering solution based on the
principle of empirical design. I believe this type of approach is the only
way to design a Tesla coil with all the major parameters coordinated into
one program.

  The  JHCTES program can be improved only by building and properly testing
many more Tels coils. The new testing data can then be used to update the
program. The building and testing must be done by skilled coilers who are
well versed in Tesla coil engineering so they can recognize and make only
correct conclusions from what the tests are telling them. I believe Marco
and others on the List can do this work. Hopefully they will also develop
their own computer programs.

  I would be interested in what you find using the TC differential equations
from the Laplace transforms.

  John Couture