[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Limiting Safety Gap Current

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com on 07.02.99 03:00:10

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Limiting Safety Gap Current

Original Poster: "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>

>Personally, I don't think using resistors to limit the
>safety gap current is the way to go. I would
>use an inductance in series with the safety gap. This
>would be much more effective, since a coil or choke
>is quite good at limiting the discharge current.

Then you'll get another nice oscillating circuit :)

>But hey, you have to dissipate the
>energy SOMEHOW, and an inductive load may just be the
>best way to do it.

An inductive load dissipates energy only in its resistive losses!
Again, an ideal inductance DELAYS the current rising but allows it anyway
to rise as much as it could without the inductance.

A resistor IMHO is the right solution.