[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifiers: how to?

to: Marco

The best way to do it is to eliminate the usual driver with separated
pri/sec inductors.  To keep the coeff of coupling high this requires a lot
of insulation between the two coils to achieve the desireable 0.6 coeff. of
coupling factor.  A better method is: on a 4 to 6 ft (2.5-3 m) dia
fiberglass coilform wind approx 50 turns of 1/2 inch dia copper tubing on
the lower part of the form and extend the winding with 2 AWG fine stranded
copper welding cable on the upper turns (usually an additional 75 turns is
all that is required).  Your oscillator is applied across the lower portion
of the copper tubing (lowest turn is grounded of course) and tapped
somewhere into the copper tubing.  This forms a series resonant driver
system that can be tuned with adjustable tap on the copper tubing.  The top
of the welding cable feeds the bottom of your resonator coil and provides
the high current, high Q driver necessary for high resonant rise in the
resonator coil.

This forms a series resonant auto-transformer that feeds the resonator coil
while avoiding all the usually pri-sec insulation problems associated with
the two coil driver system.  I'm sure you also know by now that the spark
gap system has to insure a very high rate of quenching with this type of
oscillator system.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net