[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re Sparks

>Original Poster: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>I've been breaking in my new rolled poly caps - thanks for all the
>advice about mineral oil.
>
>My question is this: I've read many previous posts about people getting
>50"-60" sparks and more from a 6" secondary. The most I've been able to
>obtain is about 36"-40" my specs are below:
>
>15K/60 ma NST
>16 turns of 1/4" copper primary spaced 3/8"
>6.5" X 28" secondary wrapped with 20awg
>4" X 20" toroid
>3 rolled poly caps in series = .01 uF
>RQ design circular static gap -6"pvc/1-1/4"copper tubes with muffin fan
>
>Did I blow it using 20awg? Is there something I can do to improve spark
>length? Or is this the best I can expect from 60ma? Any suggestions from
>the more skilled coilers out there is appreciated.
>
>Bob V

Hi Bob:

A few questions/possibilities:

Do you know what your pri/sec coupling is?  If they are too far apart,
performance will be poor.

What is your total gap spacing?  Performance increases, up to a point,
with wider gaps, but so does the voltage and stress applied to the caps
and NST.  For my 15KV/60mA NST, I use 0.38" total gap.  What is yours?
You may want to play it safe and use something closer to 0.25-0.30".

What kind of ground system do you have?

Your toroid is slightly on the small side.  I use a 4.5" x 15.5" plus a
6" x 23" toroid on top of it.  With the two and no breakout points, it
just barely breaks out, I have to use a nail, but I get the longest
sparks that way.  With my 4.25" x 23", 22AWG secondary, I get 51"
sparks.  See http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA