[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig needed PCB

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> I talked with the power company here and asked them what they do with the
> oil from old power line pole transformers and if any of the old units have
> PCB.  They said they don't know if the old units have PCB but its possible
> that they do.  They have a oil burn pot that they put all the used oil in
> and they set it on fire and burn it.  They don't worry about PCB they just
> burn it.  The burn pot looks like a 24" piece of steel pipe about 12" tall
> with a piece of 1/4" steel welded on one end.

PCB's don't burn.. that being one of their big advantages over oil in
insulation applications. The approved method of destruction requires
some other source of heat to get the stuff hot enough to break down.
Typically, a natural gas burner is used (nat gas is cheap, etc.)

> Service stations will take used oil and not ask any questions.

They should be asking questions....

> I chance my
> own oil on both trucks and the car and when I get a 5 gallon bucket of oil I
> take it to a service station and get rid of it.  I just pour it into the
> holding tank and once a month a truck comes and takes it back to the oil
> refinery.

They are expecting used motor oil, not used insulating fluid with PCB's
in it. I have no doubt that if anyone ever found out what you are doing,
they would certainly come back and hunt you down, torture you, etc, and
generally make your life a living hell. I suspect that somewhere in that
service station there is a sign that says that they are only taking used
motor oil, etc.

As it happens, the city I live in (Thousand Oaks, CA) has a household
haz mat/ toxic waste collection day twice a year when you can bring all
that stuff that accumulates around the house and have it properly
disposed of. The disposal crew is all dressed up in bunny suits, etc.
and they take whatever it is you have (unknown sludge in paint cans,
etc.). HOWEVER, you do have to sign a piece of paper saying that you
disposed of stuff, described as best you can. And, it is restricted to
households (so your business can't just bring all the hazmat you've
accumulated during the year)(although I suspect that some small business
owners take their toxic waste home with them, illegally, I might add).

The upshot is, don't be selfish. Just because it is a pain to dispose of
it properly, doesn't make it ok to ignore the rules. Your small
potential contribution to the problem is the thin edge of the wedge,
etc.... Be a responsible citizen.

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213