[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig needed PCB

to: Gary

Federal law requires them to test the oil if they do not have records of
its origin.  If the EPA knew of this open burn pot they would literally
hang the company and its officers.  Any service station that takes an
unknown type of oil is also heavily liable under these circumstances.  I
know some do it, but it's not at all legal and everyone could get seriously
burned (legally).

These practices are more dangerous than driving your car without insurance
and hoping you won't have an accident.  Don't buy a used xmfr without
having the oil sample tested first.

Our company once considered acquiring some PCB transformers so we discussed
it with out legal consul and he gave me the auto insurance analogy.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: pole pig needed PCB
> Date: Monday, February 08, 1999 12:44 PM
>
> Original Poster: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> I talked with the power company here and asked them what they do with the
> oil from old power line pole transformers and if any of the old units
have
> PCB.  They said they don't know if the old units have PCB but its
possible
> that they do.  They have a oil burn pot that they put all the used oil in
> and they set it on fire and burn it.  They don't worry about PCB they
just
> burn it.  The burn pot looks like a 24" piece of steel pipe about 12"
tall
> with a piece of 1/4" steel welded on one end.
>
> Service stations will take used oil and not ask any questions.  I chance
my
> own oil on both trucks and the car and when I get a 5 gallon bucket of
oil I
> take it to a service station and get rid of it.  I just pour it into the
> holding tank and once a month a truck comes and takes it back to the oil
> refinery.
>
> If you have used oil its not any trouble to get rid of it.
>
> Gary Weaver
>
> <<<< Even I have to mention something here...  If you knowingly dispose
of
> a toxic substance in an "improper" or "unsafe way" and get caught.  The
> legal problems will far outweigh any reasons for not paying to have the
> substance disposed of properly.  The fines and jail times are enormous...
> A case in point.  If I refill a disposable gas cylinder with air to say
> fill my car tires with air, the fine is $500,000 and five years.  I don't
> think you want to mess with the biggest brother on this one.  You could
> easily get squished! - Terry >>>>
>

> At 04:29 PM 2/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Original Poster: Brandywine <brandywine-at-writeme-dot-com>
> >
> >Mike,
> >   Others on the list have expressed strong feelings about PCBs. In
> >deference to
> >those who have more experience with this issue, it looks like it's
probably
> >best
> >to stay on the safe side of the things and recommend to beginners that
they
> >avoid
> >PCB pigs, if for no other reason than to avoid any legal hassles.  The
EPA