[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hydrogen danger

>Original Poster: "Paul Marshall" <klugmann-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>If anyone is using a DC current to power a coil beware. Direct current
>can turn your gap into a plasma torch (No Oxygen required). Hydrogen
is
>normally diatomic and has a very small nuclear radius. When pure
>hydrogen gas is passed through a DC arc (providing there is enough
>power)it will become monotomic (VERY EXOTHERMIC). Gap temperatures
could
>reach 50000 C. Goodby gap, goodby floor and anything else that happens
>to be close.
>
>Good luck,
>
>paul m

    Thanks a lot for this very informative post, Paul!

 The hydrogen molecule (H2) is made up of 2 hydrogen atoms joined
together by a covalent bond. This bond is quite special because it is
more energetic than normal covalent bonds and so we call it Hydrogen
bonding (the really energetic bonds are normally ionic).
 The heat produced when you split up an hydrogen Molecule into 2
hydrogen atoms is indeed quite impressive and it has been researched
for rocket propulsion many years. First in the Nuclear powered rocket
and than in the electric arc rocket. It really works!
 Now, a capacitor can only be charged to a certain polarity (it can
only be +- or -+ at any given instant), and a typical capacitor
discharge will involve hundreds of amps, so it would be safe to assume
that it will always split up the Hydrogens and cause that energy
release. But if the reaction was so exothermic it should cause a chain
reaction (more hydrogen molecules are split and generate more heat
which splits more molecules and so on). And yet we know it doesn’t
because trigatrons use it and they don’t melt down… I have an idea why
but I’ll research into it before I say something wrong. Anyone welcome
to input.
 One quick remark is that the hydrogen only dissociates in the path of
the arc, so it only heats up the gap. Wouldn’t be a complete meltdown…

 Sam Barros.

 P.S. The problem with H2 diffusing trough the gap is not as big as
people seem to think. Remember rubber balloons have walls hundreds of
times thinner than PVC pipes and they can stay up for 24hours when
filled with hydrogen. H2 tanks can remain at 1500PSI+ for years
(provided they use the correct valve).
==
 Sam Barros,
sambarros-at-yahoo-dot-com
ICQ#:15156975

 "The Less You Know, The Better You Sleep"...
 "Evolution Stops When Stupidity Is No Longer Fatal"
 "If At First You Don't Suceed, Increase The Amperage"