[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitors 4-Sale

All,

I have a quantity of 54uF -at- 15,000 VDC (6.075 kJ) high energy storage
capacitors for sale which are singly well suited for can crusher and
rail/coil gun and other experiments.  Two of these in parallel can
provide ample energy to make an excellent coin shrinker while allowing
some safety margin on the capacitors.  These units were originally
custom made by GE for a government laboratory for part of a 'star-wars'
initiative.  These are therefore fairly new technolgy capacitors. They
all look like brand new.

They are Catalogue #30F1600, They weigh 125 lbs each and the steel case
measures 7" deep, 14" wide and 26" tall (plus 3" for the single
terminal).  The case is the other terminal of the capacitor.  Dielectric
is polypropelene, with kraft paper and a proprietary (non-PCB)
dielectric fluid called GEconol. They are a low ESL type capacitor made
up of 28 internal capacitor packages rated at 1.928uf -at- 15 kVDC each all
wired in parallel.

They probably have very high powered Tesla coil application. An
enterprising person could dissassemble one of these and make three, 0.21
uf -at- 135 kVDC Tesla coil capacitors (9 sections wired in series) from
the 28 sections available in one of these.  Such a capacitor ought to be
bulletproof in a system even the size of Greg Leyh's Electrum.  This is
in fact my plan for one of these someday as I am able for my own Big Mo'
coil upgrade. You couldn't hope to make home rolled capacitors this big
from Home Depot materials for anywhere's near the price I'm asking for
one of these!  You'd be looking at a lot less labor this route as well.

I am offering them cash and carry FOB my place at Shelburne, Ontario for
$225.00 US each.  They will be tested for capacitance and leakage tested
at rated voltage, but other than that they are offered as-is without
guarantee. If you wish them shipped by truck I am prepared to crate and
or band them to pallets for an additional fee. The shipping charges will
be entirely your responsibility. There is no applicable duty to send
these back to the USA where they were made. Shipped orders must be
pre-paid only in cash or federal Post Office Money Orders in US funds.
I cannot accept checks, cheques or other types of money orders like the
kind you buy at your grocery store or gas station.

If interested, I can be reached by email, or by telephone at
1-519-925-1771.

Robert W. Stephens