[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: caps an the resonant freq.

Fr. Tom:
Forgive this one for being a bit surprised.. While I most certainly
agree that wiring in series is a good thing, I am a little hesitant to
suggest that anyone plan on single thickness caps. After all, it is
both well known and documented that multi-layer caps are more robust
due to the fact that possible defects will not align.
Personally, in my poly caps, I used 5 sheets of 6 mil plastic as the
basic dielectric, and then wired 3 of the same capacitance in series.
So far,after about a year of use, no failures. I've used them
at 12KV/30ma, 12KV/60ma, and recently 14.4KV/200ma (approx). My only
problem is that they leak at the top seal (due to a screwup on my
part, don't try and make square o-rings )

Pictures of the caps in question can be seen at :
http://www.access1-dot-net/mycroft/baby.htm  [when I was using them on my 3.5"]

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net