[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wire size for 8.5" coil

I'm looking for a second opinion, comments, and general kibbitzing of
the wire for my planned 8" coil.
I can either wind with 21AWG, or 20AWG (looks like mouser has spools
of both that will allow continuous winds for what I plan) The question is:
Which is better?
Proposed specs for
21AWG:
34" winding (appox 1150 turns, 2500ft wire)
Cap: 0.03
Topload: 6x32
Primary: 10.5 ID, 1/4 spacing, 1/4 tubing, tapped around 14 turns
Computed frequency, loaded: ~90Khz

For
20AWG:
34" winding( approx 1000 turns, 2200ft wire)
Cap: 0.03
Topload 6x32
Primary: 10.5 ID, 1/4 spacing, 1/4 tubing, tapped around 12 turns
Computed frequency, loaded: ~101Khz

All parameters are up for tweaking: Suggestions beyond wire type welcome.

Note: My power source is a 14.4KV 5KVA pig, ballasted by a Lincon stick
welder.
I've used it to run my 6" coil out to about 55" arcs (more possible, if I
up my cap I am sure, as well as move outside. Current cap is only 0.015)
Former will be green 8.5" OD PVC Sewer pipe, treated with polyurethane
in the normal fashion.

The wire I am thinking of using is the NYSOL 130C, with the nylon overcoat
[or kapton.. I suspect the latter, it does say polyimide in the catalog]

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net