[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help...I'm having a lot of problems here...

>Am I looking at the proper type of cap (ceramic)?  Should I be looking at
>electrolytic caps?  The reason I ask is because I couldn't get any output

You won't find any electrolytic caps at that voltage, or even near it and if
you did, they would explode anyway.  They are DC caps only.

>after hooking this unit up parallel with the transformer (i.e. one lead of
>the cap to the hot and the other to the ground).  I was only able to get a
>discharge at the gap when having the cap in series between the transformer
>and the gap.  My understanding of the ceramic variety is they are not
>polarized, or doesn't this matter?

Ceramic are not polarized, and would work if they were higher in value.

>Also, I was told today that the output of the transformer must be
rectified,
>that the output is AC and that caps will only work in DC.  Is this true?

It must not be rectified.  The caps will work in AC fine, again, they are
just
way too small a value.

>I would assume you're talking of my toroid? And when you talk of a metal
>bump do you mean like a door knob (or something of the likes)?

Stick a nail on the toroid.