[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coils and Lamp Tests -

Hi John,
         Here are my thoughts FWIW:

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>   Malcolm, Reinhart, All -
>
>   This may be a good time to discuss what we think we know about how the
> LED, fluorescent, and incandescent lamps are energized by the Tesla coil or
> radio transmitter. These lamps need a source of electrical energy to be
> lighted. How does this energy transfer from the Tesla coil or radio
> transmitter to the lamps? What are the differences in the energy transfer
> methods between the two? Only a few milliamps are required for the LEDs but
> much more current is needed for the other lamps. Note that these lamps are
> transmitting electromagnetic energy in the form of light frequencies.

The LEDs: current operated devices (only).

fluoros: current (conventional connection) and voltage (the intense
electric fields attract/repel/form ions in the TC case. However, in
effect an AC current is present in the tube although it may not be
longitudinal depending on tube orientation relative to the TC.

Incandescent: Normally current. However, voltage also to light up the
gas in a similar fashion to the fluoro. Ion bombardment of the
filament under this condition can cause the filament to incandesce.
Also implied is a current flow (moving charges).

In all cases a current flow is present since lighting takes power.

My 2c
Malcolm

>   Faraday discovered that changing magnetic fields could induce currents in
> conductors. Maxwell predicted electromagnetic waves that consisted of
> electric and magnetic fields at right angles to each other. Hertz discovered
> these waves. How are these discoveries and others being used for
> transferring the electrical energy?
>
>   Many coilers (including myself) have made these tests but have been very
> vague in describing how the energy that is lighting the lamps was obtained.
>
>   John Couture
<snip>