[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Elementary Lecture

to: David

With children in this age the electrical concepts of voltage can be
presented.  The idea of a transformer --- "transforming" or changing a lower
voltage into a higher voltage is good.  Compare to pole transformers in
their home neighborhood and of course emphasize safety.  The idea of
electricity being "stored" in a jar, ie, capacitor basics can also be
discussed.  If you have a small 5-10 kV DC power supply you can make some
nice small Leyden jars with a nail, aluminum foil, and the small plastic
canisters that camera film comes in.  Charge it and ask 10-12 children to
join hands with one holding the foil of the plastic canister and the last
child touches the top of the nail head.  The charge is so small there is no
danger but it does give a small shock.

The concept of a "special type of coil" that can generate radio waves
usually suffices to explain the lighting of a flourescent tube at a
distance.  They also seem to enjoy the lighting of a small neon tube (10-12
inches long) as well.

If you coil has enough power you can ignite toilet tissue paper which is
taped on the end of a hand-held and grounded piece of copper tubing.  Be
sure to have a glass of water on hand to dump the burning tissue into.
Children like the burning and ignition of the paper --- almost magic.
Safety can again be emphasized here ("See what can happen to you if you
touch . . . . . .).

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net