[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mineral Spirits

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: ElectronX-at-aol-dot-com
>
> I've been looking around for mineral oil to build my poly plate cap, and I
> found that Home Depot sells mineral spirits.  They say it is the same as
plain
> mineral oil.  Will this work?
>
> Matt Behrend

Mineral spirits is another name for paint thinner. It might work, but I
would have serious questions about: 1) volatility and then flammability,
mineral oil will burn, but it isn't particularly volatile, so the hazard
is low; 2) water content: for paint thinner, if it is 1% water you
wouldn't care, but it would be worthless as a HV insulator.

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213