[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cross-linked caps

> Original Poster: "G.Wilson / B.Petersen" <wilson-at-vossnet.de>
snip
> The Tank Cap will be chains of 70nF MKP - 15 in each chain and up to 6
> chains giving up to 28nF in steps of 4,7nF. (As used with good results
> by Reinhard Walter Buchner) Should there be any cross linking between
> the chains ?

I see two sides to this.

1) If they are cross-linked, I believe the voltage across each individual
cap will be more evenly distributed, as the capacitance variation across
the individual units will averaged out.  If one of the caps did in fact
have an especially low value and was not cross-linked, it would see a
disproportionally high voltage across it and be most likely to blow.

2) If the strings are not cross linked, this gives one the option to
experiment with differing total capacitance values, by connecting or
disconnecting individual strings at their end points.  If you do plan on
doing this, the strings should be placed far enough away from each other
that they can't arc (since a disconnected string will look like one long
wire).

My personal choice (I've also just ordered a pile of polypro caps) is to
cross link.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA