[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: helical cap

Wells,

This is almost exactly the design we were talking about a few weeks ago,
I take it your tabs on the cap are at the center of the roll on one plate
and at the edge of the roll on the other plate. You get the best separation

of connections by putting them on opposite ends of the roll, as well;
plus this has the added effect of creating a conical-helical net current
path.
The vertical component of the net vectors on the two plates cancels if they

are on the same end of the cap roll. Bottom-center and top-edge tabs gives
typical inverted cone net current path. How may turns did you end up with?
(I calculate 13.7 ) The inside diameter is 7", what is the outside
diameter?

                                  center axis
                  _               |
  Height of Coil H_  | | | | |    |    | | | | |       <---cross section
                                  |                        of flat spiral
                         |---A----|    |---W---|           coil.

   L = inductance in microhenries.
    a = average radius in inches as measured from the central axis to
        the middle of the winding.
    h = height of the cap/winding
    n = number of turns in the winding.
    w = width of the coil in inches.
    Note: Make sure you measure "a" from center axis - the very middle
          of your secondary sitting inside of your primary.

Does anybody remember the conical primary equation?
I suspect that it will look sometning like:
           2         2
         a     x   n
       *(8a+11w)(9a+10h)

Keep us posted on the success of this technique.

Bryan Kaufman