[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dangers of running 2 coils...

Last weekend I lugged my coil over to fellow coiler Brian Basura's
house.  After the initial ooohs and aaahs, we took a break to so some
tuning to our respective coils.  Brian finished while I was still
working on opening my gap up a bit and asked me if he could try some
quick test runs.  I was about 2X as far away as I figured that his coil
could reach, so I said go for it.  About 15 seconds into his run I
wondered if my cap might possibly be getting charged from the huge field
that his coil was emitting.  I took the "red" cap wire that was in my
hand and brought it close the the "black" cap wire on the gap.  At about
1/4" away I got a huge "bang".  I quickly slid the wires on the same
bolt and backed away!

This brought my attention to several issues
1.  The caps should always have a shorting wire when you are working on
the coil.  I always discharge them with a "shorting tool", but I now
realize that this practice is inadequate.

2.  Similar coils can act as a transmitter / receiver pair!  Be careful
messing with one while the other is running close by!

Later in the night, we observed that I could make the spark gap fire on
his unplugged coil while mine was running.  Our coils were about 10 ft
apart.

It almost got me - don't let it get you!
--
Ross Overstreet
ICQ# 20762411