[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Pics - How To?

At 02:15 PM 12/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
>In a message dated 12/29/98 8:41:59 PM Mountain Standard Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>

>>  I'm looking for some advice on taking pictures of my coil while its
arcing.
>>  >From all the great photos I've seen on the Ring most of you must know
what
>>  you're doing & I've already wasted 2 rolls of film with meager (at best)
>>  results. I have an old Nikon - great camera w/ no electronics & good
>lenses.
>>  Any help on Fstop, exposure time, film speed etc. would be greatly
>>  appreciated. Thanks,  Jim
>Jim,

You just have to experement to get the type of photos you want.  I have very
good luck using low lighted condition to take the type of pics I want.  I
light up about 8 or 10 candles and turn off the lights.  I use an old Nikon
F camera which is all manual settings.  200 ASA color films seems to work
fine for me.  The camera can see things the eye can't see.  Sparks are a lot
brighter than you may think.  I set the F stop at about 8 and take 4 shots
at 2.5 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds and 20 seconds exposure.  Then I do it
again with the F stop set at 16, 4 shots at 2.5 seconds, 5 seconds, 10
seconds and 20 seconds exposure.  The F16 5 second exposure is usually the
best one out of 8 shots but not always.  Depends on what I am looking for.
If I use a roll of film, 24 exposure, I usually get 5 pics that I consider
to be good. The others are OK but not what I consider to be good.

Gary Weaver