[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design

At 04:58 PM 1/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
>At 10:02 PM 1/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>
>According to my cypher'n:
>
>1 meter dia sphere capacitance= 4 PI E0 R = 111 pF
>Energy stored -at- 1 million volts= .5 C V^2 = 55.5 Joules
>To double the voltage on the sphere (quadruple the power to 222J)=
>222-55=167J; add 167 joules
>
>The next voltage doubling will require adding (888-222=) 666 Joules }:-)

You are correct!  I should have said a sphere with 1 meter radius, not
diameter.  I found the energy needed to raise to voltage from 0 to 1 Mv
with respect to ground.  2Mv reqires four times the energy.  If the sphere
does not arc, soon the motor will not be able to force charge into it at a
given rate.  The power is probably the intergral of this function over
time....

Glad someone is checking up on me :-))

	Terry