[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank power supply weight

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Shady M's Hivh Voltage Supply" <hivolt-at-gil-dot-net>
>
> Hiya,
>
> I'm going to have to move a 120 KV 3-phase-input tank power supply
> out of a hospital, and I need to know what kind of ballpark weight to
> expect.  It's a Siemens, and the actual power supply is about four feet by
> 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet.  It's filled with oil (obviously), so I really don't
> know if there's going to be a gigantic iron block uncovered when I drain
> the stuff.  I had to move a 10KV power supply once and it bent my El
> Camino.
>
> So can anyone tell me?  Thnaks.
>
> S M

There is an empirical relation between kVA and pounds of iron for most
big power transformers (sadly, I can't find the book with it just now).
At the least, the oil alone will weigh several hundred pounds.  If I had
to guess, based on other HV equipment, I'd say you're looking at
1000-2000 pounds, minimum.

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213