[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Practical limits and soldering tubes?

Travis,
Here's what I do for soldering copper tubing for a primary.

I wind the first part of the primary (inward working out for a flat spiral).
Then wind a turn or so of the next winding butting the two ends. Once I have
everything in relative position, I cut about 1.5 inch of solid copper wire or
tubing which fits inside the primary tubing snug and give it a slight bend to
give it the same curvature as the primary wire being soldered. I stick the
wire in the middle of the two windings and solder. When soldering I use flux
paste, solder, and a torch. It is very easy to keep the workmanship neat (no
solder balls, drips, etc..). Then I wrap a couple windings of electrical tape
(3/4" wide) around the joint to suppress any breakout which might occur from
an imperfection on the surface.

Bart