[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: design questions

to: Tristan

If you can run some tests with some old 8 or 10 AWG house wiring as your
primary, then you can get your tuning before fabricating your final
primary.  These are usually conducted with a variac around 30-40% and will
give you an accurate indication of resonance point before final primary
fabrication, therefore, allowing you to make a primary with only 1 or 2
extra outer turns   \

If winding with the magnet wire be sure to sand the tube thoroughly and
then 2-3 coats of glyptal before winding (inside and out) on PVC tube.
Keep the lower edge of toroid approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch above upper most
winding.  Space wind the last 5 upper turns of the secondary approx 3/16
inch -- slowly reduces capacitance at top end of hv winding.

It sounds like Jack Wu is getting coil fever --- he keeps asking me the
same questions.  Nice of you to help him out.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> [...]
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: "Mad Coiler" <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >
> > List members,
> >
> >   I am [still] in the design phase of my first distribution-xfmr
powered
> > coil. Only a few variables are fixed, and many are still undetermined.
> > have many questions to ask, and I'll limit myself to just a few in this
> > post. Feel free to respond in private if you wish
> > [tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com]
> >
> > Here is what I have to work with:
> > - 19,920V 10kVA pig
> > - 10.5" x 44" coil form
> > - .04uF 40kV GE pulse cap
> >

> With a 19.9 kVRMS Pig running at full power, you may overvolt your 40 kV
> cap. The reason is that the voltage swing when the gap fires can be as
> much as the initial peak voltage (1.41*19.9kV) multiplied by 1.8
> (assumes that the voltage reversal is 80% of the initial cap voltage),
> or over 50,000 volts. And, the cap will see even higher voltage stresses
> if you use resonant charging and a rotary spark gap. Unfortunately, many
> coilers simply don't understand the voltage stresses that these caps
> actually see under TC use. More experienced coilers understand - usually
> by hard-won (and sometimes expensive) experience. Most pulse caps have
> faceplate ratings in volts DC. A tank cap driven off a 15 kV (RMS)
> supply should be rated at no less than 45 kVDC, and more conservatively
> at 60 kVDC to have at least some margin. Under full steam, your 19.9 kV
> system really should have a 60 - 80 kV pulse cap. In ther interim,
> you'll need to limit applied primary voltage (via the variac) and use a
> static gap across your RSG to insure that you don't overvolt and destroy
> your tank cap.
>
> > Here is what is proposed so far:
> > - #16 AWG magnet wire close wound 42" ???
> > - 5/16" copper tubing primary(flat), 1/4"-3/8" spacing, 12-20 turns
> > - hopefully a saturable reactor ballast
> > - RSG w/ 1/8" tungsten contacts
> >

> I'd recommend using at least 3/8" copper tubing on the primary with 3/4"
> ctr-ctr spacing to reduce corona and keep primary losses down. Go with a
> welder for ballast - it's relatively cheap, adjustable, and robust. You
> don't ever want your ballast to saturate, since you'll pop your mains
> breaker in an instant when this occurs - a short-circuited pig will
> easily attempt to draw 1000-2000 amps off the low voltage side when your
> ballast saturates. Also as you increase output power towards 10 kVA, the
> 1/8" electrodes will overheat - you'll probably want to use at least
> 1/4".
>
> > Here are a few questions:
> > If my toroid is, for example, 6" aluminum ducting wrapped around the
> > outside of a plywood circle, about 48" diameter, what effect would
> > covering the plywood with al foil have to the capacitance? WinTesla
> > gives me 50pF for my proposed toroid capacitance, and I assume the
> > actual will be higher with foil covered center. But how much higher?
Any