[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Coil INSIDE Secondary Coil

Tesla List wrote:

> I gotta wonder, different opinions do that :-)  So, who IS right?
>
> >> Ok, what about doing it with the primary INSIDE the secondary?

The idea works. There is Electrum, and take a look at this setup,
from an old instrumentation catalog:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/eln8849a.jpg
You can see a spark gap, a primary Leyden jar capacitor, and a primary
coil inside the secondary coil. The output device sparks at the
narrow neck, even with the apparent short circuit of the wire loop.
This setup is due to Weinberg, in the first years of the century.
Possible problems may be excessive coupling if the primary diameter
is not much smaller than the secondary diameter, and excessive
number of primary turns if the primary diameter is small.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz